Brown Paper Flooring ~DIY

So for some of us being brave and trying something new is all in a days work. For others its scary. Can I really do this myself? What kind of DIY skill must you have to complete this? How much will this cost? How much could this save me?

So this is how I started.

I had this...

So I tore out the carpet and found this....




So on my saw here you see I bought a Spyder attachment @ Lowes.Buy them here  They have awesome tools that snap on to your saw.. Sanders, blades, scrapers, and it goes on and on  etc....

So I scraped all the carpet glue off.. so super easy with the Spyder scraper tool. 
Then you rip up paper. I bought a roll of brown )paper bag like) paper at Lowes Buy roll of paper here for about $10.00. Its super thick. I was worried that the color of the tiles on my floor would show threw. They did not.

Then you buy Elmers glue... in bulk lol Its a big ol' Tub of Glue... Buy Elmers Glue here ... So kids can help.. tear up the pieces randomly small med large doesn't matter.

 
 
So now you mix the Glue in a glass or metal bowl Half glue half water... It will be thin glue... Crumble your torn pieces, and dip in glue. I would squeeze mine in the glue then flatten on the floor. I used the pieces that were flat on the side (side of the roll) next to the wall because it was a perfect fit and no cutting required.
 
So easy my kids helped.
 
Yes, it does look funny at first, and it looks light in color. Don't worry it dries darker. Some people on Pinterest did stain the floor when dry, but I found it to be the right amount of walnut color.

 
The last step. Decide which polyurethane your going to put on. Flat, semi gloss, or high gloss. I think I will do semi gloss. I will put the final picture up when my polyurethane gets here. Polyurethane is the most expensive part of this floor project. But, also the most important. If you polyurethane can make anything waterproof. This floor will last as long as a wood floor. Brush the edges and use a flat roller, a foam roller because anything with a mat to it will leave bubbles in the poly and look like poo.. I did a old oak floor in a home already and I learned the hard way. Its easy to use poly, and it dries quick and this one Buy Poly here has low odor!

Comments

Popular Posts